Saturday, March 18, 2017

What is this thing called PLN?

PLN.  I have to admit at first I was skeptical about the term.  I watched the video three times and read the article several times.  After our CLC online discussion, and some reflection, I've finally made the connection to it and me as a professional.  Sometimes we as teachers get bogged down in our day to day and all the demands put on us, that we don't take a step back and reflect and consider.  Maybe after 19 years under my belt, I just move through it all automatically.  Well, that saying...You can't teach an old dog new tricks...you really can.  And having a PLN helps teach those new tricks.

Since our building has been, in my opinion, one that has used technology for a long time now, the knowledge I have gained has been through my #9LN (School 9 Learning Network).  Co-teachers talked me into Facebook, introduced me to Pinterest and Teachers Pay Teachers. I can say I am a strong lurker on all of these forums! Google went nuts within our building and I took district Google online courses to be able to use Classroom and Forms and Slides.  To present it to my students as a means for work and research has been eye opening, for me as well as them.  The change from paper/pencil, from teacher-led to technical paper/pencil and student-choice/self-lead has been bumpy, error-filled, and exciting all at once.  
My PLN has mostly been via word of mouth.  I'm on several teams where we discuss the latest this or suggest to go try that.  There is even a Teacher/Leaders Team at our school via Google Classroom where lesson ideas are posted for all to see and try. But I can see having a Social Media PLN would open up even more avenues and hopefully, inspire me.  I can see how it would contribute even more to my learning as a teacher and zero in on an educational focus. It may even give me food for thought. While I currently share with my colleagues, I never share outside of that circle...not even with other district buildings/teachers. I'm sure I have some good ideas or successful lesson plans that maybe others would like to take a look at.  Sharing will be a goal for me.  I look forward to building new relationships in education.  This "old dog" is always open for new tricks!





13 comments:

  1. I appreciate your transparency about your initial reservations about a PLN. Your goal to share is great because you do have a lot of experience and ideas to share with others. Can't wait to see what you think of Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I'm starting to like Twitter. I just need time to 'play' with it more!

      Delete
  2. You are amazing! The reflection of how your teaching practice has transfomed.... Pencil/paper (Teacher Led) to including Stu Choice/Self Lead. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Patti! You seem to be taking the bull by the horns. I am hanging onto his tail, but I'm still with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many great things happening in your classroom. Start posting some of them and I bet you will have lots of followers in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just need time to do it all!

      Delete
    2. Exactly what I was thinking. I've always admired your room and the things you do in there. Take some pics and videos and share in the blog!

      Delete
  5. "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" hahaha...I agree with what you said about being bogged down. It's interesting to hear how things have changed for you, because for me it is just the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am positive that with your 19 years of experience and your record of accomplishments, you have a plethora of sound pedagogical ideas and lesson plans others can learn. Like the Pepsi slogan, you have “Something for everyone”.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything takes some getting used to, for sure. And like it or not, technology,individualized instruction, a paperless workplace, and a cloud that unites it all are what is in the foreseeable future of education. So, get on Board! I agree that the saving of time and and being able to access and connect when it'convenient, are benefits of a PLN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the School 9 learning network! Remember the old days when we would go out and present Author Studies to America's Choice schools?!? I still like the PD's that let you travel, every year I ask to go to the big Kindergarten PD in Las Vegas...still hearing crickets on that plan! So, I am happy to be following you on twitter and seeing your interests and what new ideas you have...no longer a lurker...you are active!

    ReplyDelete